Type Here to Get Search Results !

Meryl Streep stopped being a 'method actress' after The Devil Wears Prada

The cast of The Devil Wears Prada met to celebrate the film's 15th anniversary, where several revelations came out about the production of the successful film.

Meryl Streep stopped being a 'method actress' after The Devil Wears Prada

One of the ones that caught the most attention came directly from Meryl Streep, whose character of Miranda Priestly continues to be remembered and imitated to this day.

For those who have never seen the film (because they have lived away from society for the last decade), the story follows the life of Andrea (Anne Hathaway), an aspiring journalist who finds work as an assistant to the most demanding and prestigious editor at the world of fashion, thanks to his work in Runway magazine.

Priestly is known for being very tough, intimidating and demanding with her workers, who practically have no personal life outside of work.

The character earned Streep an Oscar nomination, but she also came at a personal cost. According to what she confessed at the meeting, during filming she tried to become a “method actress,” which is a technique that some performers use where they “don't get out” of her character for practically the entire day.

"It was horrible! I was feeling [miserable] in my trailer. I could hear them all having a good time and laughing,” Streep recalled. “I was very depressed! (So) I said, 'Well, it's the price you pay for being the boss!'” she added, according to People magazine.

“That's the last time I tried anything with the ‘Method’!” she said.

Her co-stars recall that they also felt a little intimidated by Streep's process. Hathaway was one of them.

“I knew that whatever she was doing to create that fear…she appreciated it [because] I also knew that she was looking out for me,” Anne Hathaway acknowledged.

"There's a scene where [she says], 'You're just as disappointing as the rest of those dumb girls.' I remember when the camera turned on me, the pressure really got to me. I had been very emotionally fluid that day, but at that moment it just wasn't there anymore,” she said.

Emily Blunt, who played her other assistant Emily, had a slightly different impression. “Meryl is very social and fun, and I think in some ways it wasn't the most fun for her to have to stop being who she was,” she said.

“It wasn't like she was unapproachable; You could walk up to her and say, 'Oh my God, she just had the most fun.' She listened, but I don't know if it was fun for her to be on set being like that,” she added.

Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.